SETAC Basel 2014 conference
May 29th, 2014
The annual meeting of SETAC Europe in Basel took place on the 11-15 May 2014. The SETAC (Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry) event was well-attended, with approximately 2000 delegates representing industry, regulatory organisations, academic institutions and service providers.
The five central themes of the SETAC conference were:
- life cycle assessment and sustainability
- environmental chemistry
- fate and effects of nanomaterials
- risk assessment, regulation and public perception
These themes were addressed through over 200 hours of themed platform presentations, which included question and answer sessions. More than 1000 scientific posters were exhibited during the conference.
Important topics included:
- adverse outcome pathways: an ambitious objective to understand modes of toxic action of chemicals in environmental organisms, including mammals, through biochemical pathway networks.
- persistence and bioaccumulation issues – particularly the fate and uptake of pharmaceutical actives in wild populations
- regulatory (particularly REACH) perspectives, including feedback from ECHA on various topics
- specific chemical issues: nanomaterials, pharmaceuticals, and metals in the environment
PFA exhibited four posters at the conference. If you would like further information or an electronic copy of any of our posters, please contact us.